Whatever holiday or special occasion you are celebrating, if you are planning to decorate your home this autumn and winter seasons, you may be the victim of the following common injuries associated with putting up decorations: back injuries, tripping, slipping, falling, burning, choking, cutting, getting an electric shock, as well as many others.
Injuries can arise at any moment, so take precautionary measures to reduce injuries and accidents. Here's what you can do to protect yourself:
- Watch out for extension/power cords, especially in high foot traffic areas. They are a trip and fall accident waiting to happen. Place them in corners or areas where people do not walk around much.
- Try not to overload sockets. This could potentially cause an electric shock.
- Clutter and any type of debris is another potential cause of trip/slip and fall injury. Make sure hallways, stairs, and foyers are clean and clear of any obstacles and special event decorations, especially shattered glass and small sharp pieces.
- Affixing lights, pop-up streamers, staircase decorations, and other ornaments in high-up places can be potentially dangerous. Use a stepladder, instead of balancing on an unstable chair or stack of boxes. Always ask for help when climbing a ladder.
- Remember to lift properly by using your legs and knees, not your back. Never bend with straight legs. Read our previous article on how to properly lift light and heavy loads.
- Never leave candles or oil burners unattended. Make sure they are placed in appropriate containers or holders to reduce the chance of serious burns.
- Some Christmas plants are poisonous, so make sure you keep these out of the reach of children and pets. Some can cause hallucinations, severe stomach cramps, and diarrhea. If accidently consumed, immediately call your doctor or emergency services.
Be sure to follow the same precautions when taking down decor. Follow these important safety tips to avoid back injuries and other injuries while clearing special event decorations. With these safety precautions and a little more care and planning, most accidents and injuries can be avoided.
If you or someone gets hurt from faulty products or holiday decorations in a way you did not expect, you may be able to file a products liability lawsuit seeking compensation for your injuries. Call Morici, Figlioli & Associates today at (312) 372-9600 to request a case review.