According to the National Safety Council an estimated 24% of all traffic crashes are connected to motorists texting or talking on their cell phones. It is important to remember to refrain from using all electronic devices including talking on your mobile phone while driving.
To bring awareness to the rise of cell phone use related accidents statewide agencies have launched the "Drive Now. Text Later." campaign which has gained support from dozens of municipalities, local police departments, high schools, colleges and businesses.
Did you know?
- About 80% of all crashes involve some type of distraction
- Approximately every 24 seconds an accident is attributed to cell phone usage
- Texting while driving increases the risk of a crash by 23 times
- Motorists who use hand-held devices are 4 times as likely to get into an accident
- Distracted driving takes your eyes off the road for approximately 4.6 seconds enough time to cause a crash
- The worst offenders are the youngest and least-experienced drivers under 20 years of age
MFA’s tips to avoid distracted driving
- Load compact discs in player or connect your mp3 player to the sound system
- If using a navigation system, enter the address before driving
- Smart phone users: connect your phone to the hands-free system
- Place your mobile phone out of sight and out of reach while driving
- Remind yourself and others to stop texting and talking on the phone while driving
- If you must answer the phone, use a hands-free device, or pull over to a safe location
- Do not send or read text messages while driving
- Many Tollway oasis’ and rest areas provide customers with free Wi-Fi service
- Pay attention to the road, texting and talking can wait
Texting while driving on Illinois roads is illegal and can be deadly.
The law office of Morici, Figlioli and Associates specializes in personal injury lawsuits. If you have been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact our office at (312) 372-9600 to schedule an appointment. We are also available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Illinois Tollway, NSF, NHTSA