The Morici, Figlioli and Associates law firm not only helps those who have been seriously injured, but helps in prevent injuries through the local programming of Community Safety Forum episodes and by writing short articles where tips and suggestions are listed to prevent various injuries and accidents.
Listed below are a few holiday safety tips:
- Lifting and carrying heavy items. These could be last years’ decorations, a big and heavy Christmas tree, new TV, computer or even furniture. Trying to lift something that is too heavy, or lifting it improperly, can cause some serious damage to your back. You can potentially throw out your back and be on bed rest for days or even weeks. Review these proper lifting techniques.
- Falling from a ladder. Whenever climbing up or climbing down a ladder, make sure you have another person assisting you. Safety is priority. Make sure you have a stable and flat base and always ask someone to hold the ladder steady, so that you do not sway from side to side and fall off.
- Faulty holiday lights. If you are the type of person who never takes down holiday lights, then you are exposing yourself to a bit of danger. The lights and cords may become damaged during the year. Exposed wires and faulty plugs can cause the lights to short out and possibly start an electrical fire. You may also be setting yourself up for an electric shock. Always thoroughly check cords and lights.
- Menorah/candle fires. These candles look beautiful in the window; however, most people place them too close to shades and curtains. In general, it is not safe to keep lit candles on ledges, shelves or close to flammable materials. Never leave candles unattended. Lit candles are a major fire hazard.
- Dangerous ornaments. These also look beautiful, but glass ornaments are very delicate and can break into millions of tiny pieces. Take extra time when decorating the tree or your home with breakable ornaments. Use caution when cleaning up small, sharp pieces.
Here are two very short videos on what you need in your personal first aid kit:
Or, watch our entire episode on first aid kit essentials, first aid and CPR training and education:
If you have been injured by faulty lights, or a Christmas ornament you did not expect and would like to know if you have a legal case, please call Morici, Figlioli and Associates at 312-372-9600. You may be able to bring a products liability suit to cover your injuries.
The above suggestions are for general guidance only and should not be relied upon as instructions for rendering medical help or advice. They are based solely on illustrative purposes. Morici, Figlioli & Associates (MFA LAW) does not make any warranty, expressed or implied for any products or suggestions mentioned, or any techniques or practices described.